Selective shaming? Sereno notes 13 CJ applicants didn’t submit complete SALNs
Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno on Monday disclosed that there were 13 other applicants for the chief justice post who failed to submit the required number of statement of assets, liabilities, and net worth (SALN).
She identified them as Associate Justices Roberto Abad, Arturo Brion, Teresita Leonardo-De Castro, Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, Deans Raul Pangalangan and Amado Valdez, as well as Congressman Ronaldo Zamora. Except for the two deans, all the others were shortlisted together with Sereno.
“The submission of all SALNs for those in government was a requirement which the JBC can waive and it waived not only for Sereno but also for 13 other applicants who had failed to submit their complete SALNs to the JBC,” Sereno said in a statement.
Earlier in the day, Sereno asked the Supreme Court to junk for lack of jurisdiction and merit the quo warranto petition filed by the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) questioning the validity of her appointment in 2012.
In a 77-page comment, Sereno said the SC has no authority to remove her from office via quo warranto because the text of the 1987 Constitution, the Constitutional Commission’s deliberations, and established jurisprudence stated that impeachable officials like her can be ousted “only by impeachment.”