Tuesday 25 September, 2018
Powered by Ajaxy

Dream promotion! Duterte appoints Caloocan judge to Sandiganbayan after dismissing murder raps vs. cops in Kulot, Carl slay

Sharing is caring!

President Rodrigo Duterte has promoted a Caloocan City judge to the Sandiganbayan a few months after she threw out the double murder charges filed against two dismissed policemen allegedly involved in the killings of Carl Angelo Arnaiz and Reynaldo “Kulot” De Guzman.

Malacañang on Wednesday (June 20) released the appointment paper of Caloocan City Regional Trial Court Judge Georgina Hidalgo as an Associate Justice of the anti-graft court. She replaced former Associate Justice Rodolfo Ponferrada.

The Caloocan judge on May 9 dismissed the criminal cases filed against Police Officers 1 Jeffrey Perez and Ricky cor lack of jurisdiction.

Hidalgo said state prosecutors filed the case in the wrong venue. She, however, said they can file new charges against the former police officers in the proper court.

The 19-year-old Arnaiz was shot dead by the Caloocan City police after allegedly engaging in a shootout in August last year. The teenager, who was last seen in Cainta, Rizal, reportedly robbed a taxi driver along C-3 road.

Fourteen-year-old Reynaldo De Guzman, who was the last person seen with Arnaiz in their neighborhood, was found dead at a creek in Gapan, Nueva Ecija the following month. His body bore several stab wounds while his head was wrapped in packaging tape and cloth.

Prior to the dismissal of charges, the prosecution filed a motion to withdraw the murder charges against Arquilita and Perez after a witness revealed that Arnaiz was killed in Navotas City.

Hidalgo told the prosecutors in a hearing last April there was no law allowing the withdrawal of a case in the middle of a trial. She said what was possible was a dismissal of the case so that it could be refiled.

See related story:

Copyright © 2018 Abogado - Latest News in the Philippines