Aguirre denies telling subordinates to shred documents before exit
Former justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II on Monday vehemently denied reports that he supposedly ordered the destruction of documents shortly after resigning from his post.
If there was really paper-shredding that occurred, Aguirre pointed out that the shredding of documents was to prepare the office for the incoming secretary.
“Foremost, I did not order any of my personnel to shred documents during my last day in the office at the DOJ. If any shredding was done, I know nothing about it,” he said in a statement.
“Assuming, for the sake of argument that it was true, what is wrong with shredding papers when what were shredded were already considered waste? The shredding could have been done to prepare the office for the incoming Justice Secretary. We can even surmise that it was done to get rid of unneeded or unwanted documents. In fact, shredding of documents is being regularly done in public and private offices.”
“To ascribe malicious imputations against the supposed acts of my people is very irresponsible journalism,” he added.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra over the weekend said that Aguirre had ordered the destruction of voluminous documents in the Department of Justice (DOJ) after quitting his post on April 5.
Photos showing several plastic bags filled with supposed shredded DOJ documents had been circulating on the internet since last week.
Utility workers and some DOJ personnel had also shown similar pictures to journalists covering the justice beat.
They claimed the torn documents came from the office of Aguirre and Justice Undersecretary Reynante Orceo.